Thursday, April 29, 2010

Finding The Light

Prologue:
As a person, I am an intuitive creative extrovert who loves to engage with people. As a photographer, I am what you would call passively creative. Meaning, I tend to take photographs of subjects that naturally present themselves to me and inspire me to capture them. However, there are a few subject matters that truly inspire me. If you know me personally then you know one area of inspiration is weddings. I truly come alive and I take such delight in capturing those precious moments that are ever present at such an event. Also, as a photographer in Maine and New England, I have a bounty of gorgeous subject matter that is here calling me to capture it.
Losing the light:
Taking advantage of our early spring, I took some images the other day and while looking at them in through the camera lens, I was fairly pleased.  However, back at the studio, I found the images to be just okay.  Why?  The light was flat. They lacked impact. To say the least, I was puzzled. I truly thought these images were going to be something great. This was a humbling moment indeed.
Finding the Light:
The first “Ah ha!” moment I had with photography was based on light. As a young photography student, I was required to do light subject/study exercises.  I learned that a slight shift in the angle or direction of light would dramatically change the look of a subject matter.  So, as I sat wondering how my beautiful shots were not, I realized it was time for me for me to re-visit basic light exercises that I learned many years ago. Without delay, I put together a makeshift studio in my living space and got to work.  What I discovered? I instantly reconnected with the young aspiring student photographer that I once was.  I started to remember my love for light.
Finding the message:
I think as artists (and as human beings) it is easy to get a little bit lazy with our growth. We have a tendency to get comfortable with our efforts and rest on our accolades. For me, it took a humbling experience to push me to improve. I want to continue to learn and expand as a photographer and as a human being. Here’s to being actively creating and pushing ourselves to improve…..enjoy!
Blessings,
Sara



No comments:

Post a Comment